Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Today is Dad's 86th birthday. First birthday without Mom in 61 years. This is not about me I know. I would love tofind a blog or chat that has other people like me facing the ups and downs of what all this entails.
It is a crash course in health care, Medicare, Social Security, pensions, prescription coverage and a whole host of other things that you may not think about. I spent 2 hours on the phone yesterday slogging through the prescription coverage. I spent an hour on the phone with the pension management company reviewing why they have not recorded my Mom's death and how much money they owe my Dad (retoractive) for insurance that she does not require.
My Dad's magazines were taken from his room less than 24 hours after I brought them while all the residents in his court yard were at breakfast. His bed was made when he returned and the magazines were gone. I know , they are just magazines but really, shame on the people who thin just because they are old they won't miss them. It starts with magazines and then who knows what.
My friends mother won't allow her laundry to be removed from the room. She launders it herself in her bathroom sink because too many of her nice things have not been returned to her. In the last 5 months between the hospital, the nursing home and the social workers I have come to understand what a shambles our country is in where health care and elder care is concerned.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home